Thursday, June 19, 2014

Better Together: Weddings and Adventuring!

     Sorry for the short absence. I have been adventuring...and summer classing (huzzah I made a new verb!). Two weeks ago I attended the wedding of two old school friends from Cornerstone and between work, and trying to stay above water in regards to my summer class, and maintaining what resembles a social life, blogging was once again at the bottom of my list. But I'm back to tell you of my wonderful adventure in South Dakota.


     For those of you who don't know, I spent two years in a Bible Institute in Hot Springs, South Dakota when I was 19 and 20. These two years were some of the best and worst of my life, but what made them was the people. Cornerstone contained an average of 40 some students when I was there and what developed was an odd, familial-like sub-culture. For the most part, weddings have been a huge part of this sub-culture post graduation, and I have missed almost every single wedding/reunion. So, when the opportunity came to attend Mat and Liz's wedding two weeks ago, I was so there. Matt and Liz were in the same class (a year above me) and while they were always good friends, their relationship deepened into something more after they graduated. And when there's a wedding, there will be "Stoners"!


     I flew from Chicago on a Tuesday, but didn't arrive in Rapid City, SD until Wednesday morning, due to the fact that we didn't leave on time (for no actual reason) from Chicago, and thus missed my connection in Denver. I've dealt with delays plenty of times before and even ones that required an overnight stay, but never alone! However, a comfortable night in a hotel, courtesy of United airlines, with free breakfast and shuttle went all without a glitch (despite being approached by creepy, individual with a white van whom I cunningly evaded). Adult points to me!!!

     I was picked up by Liz and other Cornerstoner Melinda and despite "car trouble" we drove onto Hot Springs in perfect we-are-girls-who-have-no-idea-how-to-car style. After calling Matt for help "we" fixed the problem (which turned out to be a case of rogue pipe stabbing the muffler), and drove off to have fun! Over the next few days we moved our Bride out of her apartment and literally next door to her new one, made DIY decorations for the wedding, had a blast of a bachelorette party, rehearsal dinnered, and REUNIONED (I am full of self made verbs today!!).


     It was great to see people I have't seen in 3-5 years, and even more great to see how our lives have progressed. When you're just you living your life, it's hard to see how you've changed or developed; but when you see yourself in perspective to people you knew and loved a long time ago and see that they've changed, you come to realize you have too. I loved hearing their stories, holding their children (so many children!), learning what they're doing, and where they're working. We've changed so much, and it's great! Sometimes my nostalgia takes over and I have a hard time moving forward with things. It was wonderful to celebrate change for a change (see what I did there?!).




     The wedding itself, was beautiful. I loved being involved in the business of the morning: decorating, assisting photographers, and serving food. Liz made a gorgeous bride and seeing both bride and groom commit to each other before, and in the name of their Saviour was so special. The representation of the gospel, as pictured by the imagery of marriage, was so clear in both their lives. I may or may not have cried!



     I finished off the week fellowshipping with my old church family at Calvary Baptist Church. I cannot even begin to describe how much I missed these people, and Pastor Matt's preaching (and fondness for circle time). Thank you Lord for giving me this opportunity to reconnect, even for a few, special days, with old friends and family.




Congratulations to Liz and Matt!!!


PS: If you want to check out Liz's blog click here

PPS: Clara Williams who is also a Cornerstoner, and who is married to a Cornerstoner, and who is my very dear, dear friend took the photos at the wedding. She is supper, super talented and you should check out her work on this wedding others here. I used two of her photos in this post.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you enjoyed a fabulous trip reunited with good friends and plenty of fellowship. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...